Moms, we have so much love in our hearts and we are constantly giving it away freely. In fact, we are so busy sprinkling our love dust on everyone, we forget about caring for ourselves. Making the choice to show ourselves a little love daily, can replenish our hearts and souls so that we can keep giving without feeling completely drained. Try one of these self-love suggestions today!
1. Drink your coffee while it’s hot. Every morning my coffee goes cold. That delicious, invigorating caffeine aroma fills the air, making its way to my nose. But before I can finish raising my cup to my lips… someone is crying or pooping or my husband has lost something that he needs right away. Moms are wired to respond to everything immediately. It’s like we think the house will fall if we don’t attend to every situation in that very instant. But we need to remember to tend to ourselves too. No one will collapse if you sit for 2.5 minutes to drink your coffee.
2. Get in touch with an old friend. In the last year, I found myself so wrapped up in the work of motherhood, I barely saw my friends. I could count on one hand the number of times I met with anyone outside of family. Last week I had the chance to go to lunch with 2 girlfriends. I had an amazing time. We shared our joys and struggles and we laughed and laughed and laughed (I had way too much wine). I felt like my soul had been refreshed. Even texting or video chatting with an old friend and sharing about life, can help us moms feel renewed. Motherhood can be isolating and it’s important to connect with people that we love and trust.
3. Get moving. There are a million reasons or excuses why we don’t get active, but there are so many more reasons why we should. Movement and exercise releases stress and gives us more energy. Toddler won’t nap? Put on your favorite dance song and teach that little one some moves. If they’re napping, take 10-15 minutes out of that nap time to do a short workout. There are numerous free exercise apps that can give you suggested workout routines that suit your particular body goals.
4. Beautify. Ask a trusted friend or family member to babysit for an hour or two, so you can spend some time on you! Get a haircut or a mani/pedi. If money is tight you can do it at home! Treat yourself to a “diy” pedicure or facial after the kids are in bed. Take an extra-long shower and put an olive oil treatment in your hair. A little self-care goes a long way to help us remember ourselves and feel human and beautiful again.
5. Meditate. Motherhood is overwhelming and all-consuming. Moms can get bogged down and depressed by the never-ending chores and tasks that come along with the job. When you can, take a few quiet moments for yourself. Sit in a comfortable spot, close your eyes, and take some deep breaths. Let your mind be filled with all the things you are grateful for in your life. Some relaxing music might help the process too! Just a few minutes of this can change your perspective and outlook for the day.
Love yourselves today moms, you deserve it!
Have you downloaded our free mommy wellness self check? Take this opportunity to reflect on your own wellness and make the changes you need to live a happier and healthier life!
Download my free mommy wellness self check!
Nicola Rios Nogales
Leave a Reply